Saturday, June 11, 2011

Joshua Tree

So Joshua Tree, as I previously did not know, is divided by a line between two deserts. On the west side of the park, lies the Mojave Desert (which is where all of the famous rock formations and Joshua Trees are.) As soon as you enter from the 29 Palms/Yucca Valley side (which is where most people enter from) you start to see these unbelivably beautiful rock formations. The aformentioned rock formations are lined with Joshua Trees, other various cacti and multitudes of flora/fauna. I couldn't take a picture of everything I wanted to unfortunately, but here are a few favorites.
I love this photo because it has such beautiful light and it really reminded me of something you'd see in a Tim Burton movie. Never has there been a more "magic" hour than in Joshua Tree right before sunset. We were really, really lucky to have gotten there when we did!

Another example of incredible rock formations! I wish I could properly convey the magnitude and actual human: rock scale in the photos I took, but just trust me, they were HUGE and attracted so many rock climbers!

I don't think I'll ever tire of the beauty of these trees. I thought they were cousins of the palm tree, but I was dead wrong! The Joshua Tree is a cousin/hybrid of the pine tree. They were "discovered" and "named" by Mormon settlers in the 1800s. According to wikipedia, the trees were named Joshua because they looked like objects in prayer with their arms raised up to God. I can definitely see that! They're pretty spectacular up close and I definitely felt the presence of something while in the park, even if it was just my own calm settling within me.

Another gorgeous example of cacti in Joshua Tree! These were everywhere, especially in the Mojave Desert side of the park. (The other side of the park, which I neglected to mention, is the Colorado Desert. One can witness a stark difference in landscape, temperature, animals and plant life in the two deserts. It's almost like entering a different country!)

This was a beautiful rainbow cloud -- how did this happen?! There was no rain as far as the eyes of my companion and me could see and I honestly have no idea how this phenomenon occurred. Any guesses? (Seriously, I don't know!)


Burnt Joshua Trees -- still gorgeous to me. I've always been fond and felt a connection with natural decay, anything dilapidated and spooky/scary. These burnt Joshua Trees were just so incredible looking to me.

Anyway, that's it for now, I hope to post more photos from the trip later as well as a few anecdotes regarding this, my first in my National Parks Project.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. ive never been there... but it seems like a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is! when/if you come back to CA, i will get you down here and we'll go. (although, Lausanne is a pretty magical place, too. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there in... um maybe before you were born! I used to have a beautiful glossy B&W poster for the park, a photo of one tree, in my dorm room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn't a national park back then, B! It's absolutely extraordinary and if you and the family ever make it to the Los Angeles area, I'm happy to take you all to Joshua Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think it was a monument. And amazing.

    ReplyDelete